In May 1843 Mr Alexander Bannerman, merchant of Manchester and former Captain of the Golf Club in 1831, presented a Gold Medal.
“That the best thanks of the Club be presented to Alexander Bannerman, Esq., for the chaste and very handsome Gold Medal presented by him to the Club”
The Bannerman Gold Medal is circular in shape, about two and half inches in diameter, with laurel leaves around the edge and is made of 18-carat gold. On the front of the medal the engraving shows four frock-coated and top-hatted gentlemen, one of them kneeling. On the back the Manchester Coat of Arms are displayed with the inscription “Presented to the Manchester Golf Club by Alexander Bannerman 1837”
It should be noted that the original Bannerman medal was made of Silver and presented to the Club in September,1837. It was received with thanks, with the order that it should be played for the following week and determined that the member who holed the fewest number of strokes over ten holes would be deemed the winner and given the honour of carrying the Medal for one year. The inaugural champion was Mr Burt who returned a score of 77.
In 1843, the Club owned two Silver Medals, Mr Bannerman’s and the other presented by Mr Atherton in September,1942. Although there was no mention of what actually happened to this Silver Medal, one theory is that Mr Bannerman may have become disgruntled that in February of 1843, Sir Charles Shaw presented the Club with a Gold Medal, therefore prompting him to replace his Silver Medal with a gold one and having the original 1837 date engraved on it.
May 1937 saw the Coronation of George VI and just two months later the Club celebrated the hundredth anniversary of the presentation of the Bannerman Gold Medal. The competition was played over 36 holes in a scratch format and also in conjunction with the Shaw Gold Medal which was adjudicated under handicap format. A celebration dinner held in the evening included such dignitaries as the Lord Bishop of Manchester, the Lord Mayor of Manchester, Mr John Morris,M.P., and Mr R.H.W Bannerman Esq., a direct descendant of Alexander Bannerman. The Bannerman medal was awarded to the winner Mr H.H. Pickford, who was also presented with a silver ceremonial key by the Club. This memento was thought to have been mislaid a few years later, before in 1952, for some unknown reason ended up in the possession of Monsieur P.R. Koekkoek of Brussels.